Friday, August 14, 2009

A fun day in the kitchen ...

I have 10 lbs of amazing organic tomatoes from Pattison Farms (thanks Gerry) and three flats of apricots from the Okanagan (thanks for bringing those back Gord G.!) to play with today.
I think I'll smoke and roast some of those delicious little cherry tomatoes for a savoury crepe special tomorrow at the Comox Valley Farmers' Market - and I've got a boat load of fresh basil busting at the seams in my yard, I think I'll add that to the mix.
The apricots - I think I'll can some; make a chutney out of others; maybe an apricot ice cream?
Anyone have any suggestions?
I got a new pressure cooker today, I'm pretty excited about that! Nothing makes better beans than a pressure cooker. I'm thinking about teaching a class on how to use a pressure cookers, it's an indispensable tool in the kitchen.
All in all, I'm looking forward to a great day in the kitchen - I even have a bottle of Beaufort Winery's Panacea left from the Full Moon Feast. Perhaps I'll pop that open at 2 p.m...
Happy Birthday Hans Peter Meyer - I will raise my glass to you this evening!

1 comment:

  1. Eat as many apricots as you can, make some into jam,some more into chutney or apricot muffins and they make a great morning pancake topper mixed with fresh blueberries and cherries and some plain yogurt.

    ReplyDelete